SOUND-ABATE – Mass Loaded Vinyl – Acoustical Shielding for Wall Cavities
A Mass Loaded Vinyl used in Wall Cavity Applications
- Dampens sound and blocks noise by up to 75%
- Easy to install—reduces labor and production costs
- Improves HVAC effeciency
- Mold and mildew resistant
- Material: Mass Loaded Vinyl manufactured from recycled Acoustical Grade Polymer
- Roll Dimensions: 4′ x 25′
- Roll Weight: 1.0 lb/ft² nominal (4.89 Kg M2) @ 0.100″ thickness
- Minimum STC 25 per ASTM E 90-02 or SAE j1400
- Flammability rating of class 1 per ASTM E 84 Rev. A, behind minimum 3/8″ drywall
- No fungal or algal growth and no visible disfigurement per ASTM D3273 and ASTM G 21
- Thermal Resistance minimum of 0.3 per ASTM C 518
- Meets acceptance of ASTM E 119 – 08A one hour burn test
SOUND-ABATE on wood studs
- Place the SOUND-ABATE Mass Loaded Vinyl sheet in position at top of the wall. Align vertical edges over center of studs.
- Insert staples along top edge of sheet to hold in place. 3-4 staples per sheet should be sufficient to hold in place.
- Allow SOUND-ABATE to unroll along the length of the wall.
- Apply additional staples along vertical edge if desired.
- For each additional sheet of SOUND-ABATE to be installed repeat the previous procedure.
- Note: any seams not centered over studs should be overlapped or taped with industrial tape.
- Locate any objects that will require access and simply cut an X access point for each.
SOUND-ABATE on steel studs
For installation of SOUND-ABATE Mass Loaded Vinyl over steel studs simply follow installation procedures for wood studs and replace staple with self tapping flat head metal screws.